Thursday, February 18, 2010

RETURN TO GLAM

I have a confession: I've spent the last year and a half wearing stretchy moisture-wicking pants made from petroleum...accompanied by matching tops and jackets...please don't judge me. Taking a hiatus from fashion, I focused on yoga, fitness, and dance. Can't really wear Sergio Rossi strappy sandals while you're doing squat thrusts or practicing Virabhadrasana III. And though I had become one of those women who wore overpriced head-to-toe gym outfits, fancied by MILF suburbanites the northeast over, I never forgot about style. The right hoop earrings to channel that Venus-Serena flair, a jaunty cap, sparkly running sneakers (yes, they were for running, I swear!), my signature perfume...I still embraced individuality and glamour.
But I missed the heels. I missed the sequins, the clutches, my vintage Studio 54 faux-fur . I'm back for the glamour baby. And luckily, I've had plenty occasions to play dress up this season!
One of the more recent events, a wedding with a creative dress code. Everything from cocktail to formal was accepted. I opted for a flirty little party dress and finished off with sexy albeit quirky accessories. First came the heels. Silver strappy stilettos I had bought for a NYE's bash two years ago and only wore once. Score! Next, I noticed the cut of the dress begged for my waist to be emphasized, so a belt was in order. Although I was able to shop my closet for the footwear, I did not possess the right item for my middle. Luckily, wide black belts are still a la mode, so I snagged a basic but well-constructed one from Michael Kors. On sale. Guaranteed to amp up the rest of my wardrobe, too. And because I saved a few bucks on the belt, I decided to spring for a final touch, the piece de resistance: the hat.
I've always wanted to attend a wedding in England just so I would have an ex
cuse to shop for a fabulous hat. But why wait? I don't know anyone over there anyway. (Yet. Prince Henry is still on the market, right?)
I popped into my favorite cheap-o depot for funky-fab accessories: Forever 21. Say what you will about 'Fast Fashion'. It gets the job done. More than that, they usually carry items in limited quantities, so you often feel as if you've scored a one-of-a-kind piece. My one-of-a-kind-find was a little black topper, adorned with feathers and netting. A hair comb on the underside hooked right into my pixie cut. Yes. Soooo hot. And so me. Subtle jewelry was the finishing touch; vintage sparkly 'bow' earrings , a single bangle.
My ensemble was a huge hit at the reception. (Of course I had a completely different outfit for the ceremony, held several hours earlier). Among the sea of safe LBDs and long flowing gowns, I brought a celebratory energy with me. Drinking champagne next to the gal in the crazy little hat meant you were going to have some fun! And the Bride, a dear friend, was appreciative of the extra effort. By looking festive, she felt even more fabulous (who doesn't like knowing that they surround themselves with
amazing and fabulous people?)

But enough about me, let's talk about you!
If you're looking for something to take your ensemble to the next level, but aren't feeling too adventurous, there are still plenty of options. For example, the bib necklace really spruces up an LBD. And there's one for every budget. You can stick with metals or go on a limb and choose one with colorful stones, lace, or beading. A whimsical little bag will always garner attention, especially if it sparkles, and designers are getting more creative these days with embellished footwear (check out Prada, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Versace. These pace-setting designers are playing with fabrics, jewels, PVC, wood, tassles...and there are plenty of wallet friendly versions, too!) If you're looking for a headpiece, I might recommend a festive headband or hair comb, or several glittery bobby pins found at your local drugstore. Or a miniature top hat set
atop a satin headband. If the occasion, and the personality, calls for it, bust out the hot glue gun and add any of the following trimmings: feathers, jewels, ribbon, sequined appliques...anything goes!
Or go against the conventional look of evening wear and get edgy like Fashion PR Rep Eleanor Lembo: an evening dress worn with a beautiful thin scarf and tall suede boots.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be comfortable, but have some fun! Take advantage of having an opportunity to play dress-up, to get festive, to take chances!
First rule of thumb: Opposites attract. Pair simple with elaborate and vice-versa. Fancy dress and simple jewelry. Plain but perfectly tailored party frock - rock the accessories.
Second rule of thumb: rules are suggestions, feel free to disregard. I decided black sequined cigarette pants, a white sequined boyfriend blazer, and a sequined clutch were perfect for a fancy night out with friends. When you exude confidence, you know you hit the right note!

NEXT BLOG: The savvy fashionista's urban uniform!

No comments: