Monday, April 7, 2008

WEAR EVERYTHING IN YOUR WARDROBE

You do it, even I, a major fashionista, does it, everybody does it. When we’re on the go, or when we don’t want to think twice about what to wear, we tend to grab the same thing…again and again…and again. I have several “go-to” outfits that usually revolve around my trusty custard-coloured boots from Cannes, dark boot-cut denims, Petite Bateau tanks and little cardigans.

While I think it’s a great idea to keep these options on hand, I found I was neglecting all the other beautiful pieces in my wardrobe. They would be items I absolutely had to have, but as it turned out they were harder to match with what I already had in my closet. Or so I thought.

Take my wine-coloured hand-crocheted tunic by La Rok. It felt so gorgeous against my skin, and it had a hood, which made it extra groovy! I thought it would look great with my skinny jeans and a black tank top underneath. Perhaps it was the cut, I don’t know, but it did not look as good as I’d imagined. Drat. Still, I wasn’t going to return it. I got it on sale!

One day, I decided I had to wear it, no matter what. It took a few tries, but I found, once I stopped trying to match it perfectly, once I made bold choices, unexpected choices, the tunic got it’s vindication. I threw it over a shorter tunic in a beautiful deep ocean blue with fringe coming down the front (see said tunic in the above picture while I’m candle shopping, paired with a unique cardigan). It looked great with both my black leggings and my stone-washed denims with…what else? My trusty Cannes boots! I switched out the blue fringe tunic for a dusty pink tank top with a unicorn and rose print on it. I think I got this top from Marshalls. Soooo didn’t go together, but that’s what made it work. Another unexpected combination: layering the hooded tunic over my zebra print bikini with metallic wedges. More bang for the buck, baby! Yeah!

So, say you have a piece like this in your closet. Something you love but never get around to wearing. Pull out a piece you always wear, whether it be those stacked heel boots or your favorite trousers or cardie. Now, instead of looking for what matches your unique piece, try experimenting with items you think would never work. Colour wise, shape wise, texture wise…you might be surprised.

While cleaning out my closet (which you should do regularly, so as not to have wardrobe build-up) I found a ton of great costume jewelry I have collected over the years. Fun, glittery, and impractical. My favourite was a pair of sparkly earrings that looked like they should’ve been worn by Gloria Gaynor…in concert. I thought how I could make these an everyday item. I usually wear a pair of simple hoops, in either silver or gold. I decided to give these fabulous earrings a try, allowing them to be the focal point with a vintage rocker tee, slim dark denims, and platform boots. The result was amazing. Slightly punk. No need to wait for a fancy occasion to pull off dressy jewelry!

Playing with your closet is not high-maintenance. Playing with your closet encourages you to be an individual, to have STYLE! Besides, who wants to hop on the subway and see five other girls wearing her outfit? Instead of wearing that Abercrombie tee with jeans, slip on your gauzy caftan that you use as a cover-up at the beach! Add a low-slung belt and you’ve just become your own stylist!

A note on boudoir
: Lingerie actually is wearable outside the bedroom. It’s innovative even. But it must follow certain rules. Sheer slips and babydolls must be layered, and it’s best when they’re printed or have embroidery, appliqués, etc. Try it over a slim tank top with trousers or denims. If worn with the former, pair with a cardigan for chilly nights. With the latter, a chic blazer adds a certain moxie.

Often, girlfriends, co-workers and even strangers (true story) ask me for advice on how to wear certain items in their wardrobe. Here, I offer up a few suggestions:

1.
The trouser short. Yes, this is an item for the bold and brave, but not necessarily the super-model skinny. I think girls with muscular and toned quads look great in these, as do Bettie Page-ish pin-up…pins. The trick is to not be too sexy with these, which rules out itsy-bitsy tank tops. Try a kimono style blouse that skims over the hips, a fitted belted short-sleeve jacket that hits you at the hips, or layer a button up with a vest and blazer-style jacket. Appropriate footwear: boots (ranging from ankle to knee-high, but please, NOT thigh-high) or with classy pumps. You can get creative with tights or go bare-legged. If you do the latter, use a lotion (like Nivea) that has a bit of a gleam to it. If you have long thin legs, and are really tall (I am so jealous of you!) you can pull off the trouser short with a whispy babydoll top in floaty chiffon, a little seasonless jacket, and embellished flat sandals.

2.
A cropped swing jacket in a shockingly bright colour. The shape of a cropped swing jacket can seem harder to pull off than your average hoodie. And bright colours take a bit more consideration. I suggest all-black for the rest of your outfit: a black top, black trouser shorts with metallic threading, a big black leather bag, big black sunglasses, and metallic gladiator heels or black knee-high boots with a thick heel. The swing jacket will also look great over a plain jersey dress.

3.
The mini skirt. Please don’t wear this with kitten heels or flats. Or Uggs. I really do think it looks terrible, even if your legs are skinnier than an Olsen twin’s forearm. And stilettos (even those in boot form) are a big NO-NO. The mini skirt looks really chic when paired with tights or boot socks and knee-high boots with either a sturdy stacked or fabulous flat heel. I suppose a denim mini is acceptable with flip flops at the beach, but that look really is redundant. Opt for a jersey sundress in a fun colour instead.

Moral of the story: Play, discover, have fun and don’t wear the same stuff all the time for a look that is completely YOU!

3 comments:

Angela said...

I totally know what you mean by finding that one item in your wardrobe that you HAVE TO HAVE at the time you buy it and then never wear again. I have this amazing Bebe cropped bright yellow sleeveless turtleneck that is the sexiest thing I've ever seen but I've never found the occasion to wear it (what, cover my neck and show my belly? In public? Big yikes.)

Your advice on lingerie is spot on, but even at a spritely 33 I feel a little old to pull that off... at least not at the office, which right now seems like my whole life. :)

Great posting, my dear. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

How Marv!
I found you and all your Wit!
You Still got it Grl!
Love this Blog of yours, full of tips and tricks!
I'm soOoOOoOO putting you on my fave list!
Glad to see you're doing well!

Paul Ward said...

DO THIS FOR MEN!!!

Choose three impossible to clothe men and do your magic!

Just make one of them me!!