Saturday, March 29, 2008

BORROW FROM YOUR BOYFRIEND'S CLOSET

I stood in my closet, in my oversized button-down shirt, pondering what to wear. I was going out for a glass of wine at my friend’s restaurant, so the occasion called for something comfortable, yet also chic and pulled-together. It was one of those moments where I was rifling through tons of fabulous pieces, but felt as if I had nothing to wear.

The hardest part of it was, my boyfriend had just bought me the sexiest pair of boots I had ever seen: knee high Elie Tahari, 4 inch covered heel, black cherry patent leather, with silver hardwear, total babe boots, and I was dying to wear them! Okay, I thought, perhaps they’re a bit too fabulous to go to a bistro on a Wednesday night, but what the heck. So I reached for them, but everything that went with my boots was too dressy, too fussy, too inappropriate. Arghhh. I could pull on a pair of my favorite Seven’s, but that would just cover the gloriousness of the boot. A satin baby doll dress? Nah, I wasn’t in the mood. I was getting frustrated. Couldn’t I just wear my oversized button-down and call it a night? Wait a minute!

I wandered to my boyfriend’s side of the closet (a small neglected corner, as I have hoarded the rest of the space), and leafed through his shirts. Aha, perfect. A simple black button-down. Roll the sleeves up, roll ‘em down, roll ‘em back up. (Flashback to 1994, my grunge days, when I would steal dad’s plaid flannels to wear with baby tees and overalls…ugh…shudder…) Pair it
with…a pair of tailored gray pinstripe shorts with pockets. Yeah, that’ll do.

I was comfortable, I was stylin’, I was smokin’, and when I arrived at my friend’s restaurant, I was told that I looked like a rock star. Awesome. Later my boyfriend, Michael, met me, and remarked how sexy I looked in his clothes.

Weeks later, we were to meet my family for dim sum. I had just bought a pink patterned tie for Michael, and for some reason, I was longing to wear it. He quickly taught me how to do a simple knot (wrap around twice, come up behind and over, pull through the loop). I decided to pair the cherry-tree pink tie with a fitted purple striped button down with French cuffs (with the top button left undone; this is how Harry Potter did it in the
movie), and dark pinstripe denims. Next came on my trusty boots from Cannes, and my antique-white leather trench coat. This outfit was so cool.

My family is not really into fashion, but they couldn’t help remarking on my outfit. I explained to them, “I wanted to wear a sort-of Harry Potter school uniform, only, you know, more gay.” My 4’9 Chinese mother giggled. Michael said, “That’s my baby.” How lucky I am to be with a man who not only appreciates my style but also allows me to steal his clothes!

Moral of the story: Masculine plus Feminine equals HOT!

Ways to do the Masculine-Femme look:
1. Pair a sheer blouse (especially ones with a floral or geometric print) with a fitted vest. Trousers or jeans work well, or go for a pencil skirt in a satiny material with tights and spectator or tweed pumps. Mix up the textures and fabrics.
2. Buy a men’s button-down shirt, belt it and wear as a mini-dress. Cowboy boots or platform mary janes would look super cool. Add a hobo bag for boho chic.
3. A cute baby doll dress can get roughed up with a pair of hard-core Frye harness boots. Think Betsey Johnson meets James Dean.

No comments: